Friday, March 24, 2017

Rechargeable batteries

By: Alex Vu

Personally I have never really preferred rechargeable batteries, because I always found myself constantly recharging the batteries and never really getting the maximum performance we were promised.  A few advantages I found with rechargeable batteries is a main reason they were made for, which is not having to constantly buy more and more batteries to power my controllers, remotes and other household items. A major disadvantage I found with them is that even though they are not disposable anymore, the charge on them is considerably low.  One major factor I thought of is that this problem could because the battery charge is constantly fading even when it is not in use.

I came across an article that is working on a way to improve the technology to minimize the capacity loss in lithium-sulfur batteries.  Professor Bingqing Wei states that a phenomenon called the polysulfide shuttle effect is responsible for the rapid capacity fade. As the polysulfide begins to disappear in the batteries, it allows other materials to be loss thus losing the capacity in the battery.  Currently they are trying to include ferroelectric nano particles hoping that it would prevent the loss the of the polysulfide particles and the batteries would be able to hold a charge.
Source: Batteries

No comments:

Post a Comment